Welcome to Kol HaNeshamah:West Seattle’s Progressive Synagogue Community. We are a diverse congregation of households from West Seattle and beyond who are building an intimate Jewish community committed to progressive beliefs, practice and inclusivity. We embrace Jewish ritual and tradition as we seek guidance and understanding on our contemporary Jewish journeys.
Kol HaNeshamah gathers in a space we share with the Alki UCC, near Alki Beach in West Seattle. Join us for Friday night Shabbat services & stay for our now famous potluck dinners. We continue our Shabbat celebration with learning for adults & children on Shabbat morning, followed by our musical and participatory Shabbat service. We look forward to meeting you!
We are an intimate synagogue community with a dynamic and progressive approach to 21st century Judaism. We believe thoughtful, consistent and joyful attention to welcoming and inclusivity creates a vibrant Jewish community. We enrich members’ lives through worship, lifelong Jewish education, Tikkun Olam and sharing in lifecycle events.
Our Strategic Priorities for 2015-2018
To strengthen our synagogue, we are committed to the following goals during the next three years.
- 1. Lifelong Jewish Education and Practice
- Hire an education director to build on our successful curriculum for children and youth
- Increase adult and intergenerational learning opportunities
- Enhance Shabbat and other holiday observances
- 2. Telling Our Story
- Celebrate and strengthen our commitment to an open tent, a place that welcomes those who have been historically and institutionally marginalized or excluded from the Jewish community.
- Reach out to the larger community to increase our visibility and invite new members
- Communicate our key messages and our story, affirming our identity internally and externally
- 3. Member Engagement
- Improve communication and develop better processes to support member participation at all levels
- Identify all forms of leadership and support members to step into these roles
- Create more opportunities to deepen participation and connection with each other
- 4. Tikkun Olam
- Increase opportunities for synagogue members to serve together in healing the world
- Partner with Jewish and other faith communities to increase the effectiveness of our work
- Experiment with different models that recognize the unique attributes of our congregation